Pages

Cat neeeewwwws! Meoow!

Cats at Coral Beach 2

It has been a crazy week. On monday, a big newspaper in Finland ran a story about me on their webpage, and that created a huuuuge amount of feedback. My email and FB-inbox were exploding with messages. Seems to be interesting when someone from far far north leaves the winters and carees and citylife behind and settles herself on a tiny island in Indonesia. My cat project was mentioned too, and it has been touching to receive so many messages from people who share my love for animals. I am amazed! And it is encouraging to see that there are so many people that do care!

But enough of my 15 minutes of fame! It's not important, our cats on the other hand are! So, back to the cat issues.


Magic and Chrissie became cat-angels. We miss you loads!

Tears, tears, tears. Two cats from Lutwala died last week, within 24 hours. Magic (aka Pancake), the miracle kitten, who survived a collision with a cidomo, and then Chrissie (aka Colon). I am not sure what it was, but I assume it was cat flu and a very very agressive type. Cats die within hours and nothing helps! Just terrible. Magic and Chrissie are now buried at the Lutwala garden.

After those horrible 24 hours, I felt like I want to lock all my cats inside to make sure they do not catch this cat-killing disease. But luckily there have been no other cases, at least not among the cats that I know.





Dimmu
 My little Dimmu is growing up and is a wild crazy creature. Love her lots (yes, it's a girl!) but wouldn't mind if she did not wake up early every morning together with sunrise, full of energy. Well, she is the cutest alarm clock, and at least I get to work very early every morning, when sleeping after 5:30am becomes impossible. The other day I gave her a flea bath, and I can tell you she did not enjoy that! Poor thing was so devastated after the torture that she was shaking miserably for half an hour after I washed her. But fleas were gone. For a day or two. They're back again. It's a fight you just cannot win!

Other than my cats and cats that I know, I have been running around the island after cats. I met a nice couple in a bar one night and they told me about a litter of kittens at the place where they were staying. The kittens had eye infections and so on, and there was uncertainty if the kittens have a mommycat around. I went to check them and was happy to notice that yes, there is a mommycat after all. I was already prepared to take the kittens to my house if they are orphans, although I knew that without a mommycat, 5 kittens that are maximum 2 weeks old... it means heartbreak. But as there is a mommycat, the kittens will stay with their mommy.

There have been reports about sick cats here and there. Concerned tourists have contacted both me and Gili Eco Trust, and we have been running around checking the situation and giving medicine.

The local vet from Lombok is coming again on saturday, to do couple of operations (BAAAAAALLS OUT FOEVAAAH!) and whatever else there is needed.

Bigger cat and horse clinics, in co-operation with Jakarta Animal Aid, are planned for the end of October or the beginning of November. Volunteers will be needed then, so if you are heading here for a holiday around that time, think about spending a day or two helping out at the clinic!

Lots going on, as you can see. We do the best we can, with the resources we have.

My cat Meiju Suvas. She is still living at the beach, didn't want to stay at my house at all

Moment of peace. Dimmu is sleeping.

Seek and her Mommycat. This breastfeeding still going on, although I'm sure there is no milk anymore.

My cat Pirkko, also living at the beach. I met her first time almost 2 years ago, when she was tiny dirty skinny miserable kitten. With food and luuuuuuv she grew up to be a pretty beach bum -lady.







No comments:

Post a Comment